Our Chapter

Home Officers Our Chapter Meetings Ancestors Links

Pithlochaskotee Chapter 

was founded 14 October 1977

Seminole Indians with a dugout canoe at the Billie Swamp Safari attraction,

located on the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation in Clewiston, Florida.

 

The History of our Chapter’s Name

 

      In the language of the Seminoles/Creeks, Pithlo,

means canoe and chaskita means to chop out.

The name was first known as Pithlochaskotee (Pith-lo-chas-KO-tee)

from the 1820 Taylor map and names of Indian derivation.

     Later, for some unknown reason, the river name was referred to as “Pithlachakotee”

and this is the spelling commonly in use for the river.

We have chosen to retain the Indian spelling for the name of our chapter.

     Centuries before the Spaniards came to Florida, the Native Americans lived along the

banks of the Pithlochaskotee River, in the area now known as New Port Richey.

Huge cypress trees lined the banks and were used by the Indians to hack

out their “dugout” canoes.

     In this historic setting our members live and strive

“to foster patriotism and love of God and country.”

 

The content herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR.

Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations,

or individual DAR chapters. 

Webmaster: Cherry E. Walker

Last Updated on 11 March 2017